The SAFE DRIVE TEST DRIVE: Young Driver Safety Program is a special one-day Defensive driver awareness course aimed at young and novice drivers. The program commenced in Brisbane in 1996 (formerly known as the Quest Safe Drive 2000) and has educated over 58,000 drivers. The Safe Drive Test Drive program is offered annually to over High Schools throughout Queensland and New South Wales. School groups pre-book an attendance date. The following information is provided for school groups planning to attend.
Videos about this course
Why invest in more driver training?
Worldwide road crashes kill 1.2 million people per year (3242 per day) and injure or disable up to 50 million people annually, with young drivers on P-plates being over-represented in these crash statistics. Therefore if there is one certainty in life, it is that young drivers are accidents looking for a place to happen.
As part of our commitment to improve the driver education of young novice drivers, Safe Drive Training commenced High School based driver education programs in South-east Queensland schools in 1996 (the program was originally known as the Quest Safe Drive 2000). Since then our experience in training over 58,000 novice drivers has unlocked the secrets, to reduce the risks for young drivers.
The SAFE DRIVE TEST DRIVE: Young Driver Safety Program is a special one-day driver awareness course aimed particularly at young and novice drivers. It is like a Defensive Driving Course but offers participants the following unique advantages:
- A fleet of specially modified vehicles is provided to allow participants to test drive a range of vehicles to understand their characteristics
- Fatal Vision Alcohol and Drug Impairment Simulation Goggles are used for participants to experience in safety the impairment of alcohol and drugs on driving performance (we are the Australian distributors for these goggles)
- Unlike other driver training programs this course is based on best-practice methodology to reduce over-confidence and risk taking in participants by showing them the limits of their ability and the limits of a vehicle.
- Unlike other driver training programs this course changes learned behaviour and habits using "Right-way: Wrong-way" teaching principles.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is the REAL FATAL 4?
Safe Drive Training developed the Real Fatal 4 Factors in Novice Driver Crashes in 1999. It is our belief these 4 factors are the underlying reason why so many novice drivers are killed on Australian roads.
- PEER INFLUENCE
Whilst certain vehicle control skills might assist in the seconds before an impact, the Real Fatal 4 Factors are behaviours which create the dangerous situation in the first place. Empowering novice drivers to understand these factors can assist with better decisions minutes (not seconds) before the potential crash.
Where are the courses conducted?
For 2019 programs are available in the following Australian locations:
- CAIRNS (QLD): Cairns Speedway or Springmount Dragstrip
- TOWNSVILLE (QLD): 1300SMILES (Cowboys) Stadium
- PROSERPINE (QLD): Whitsunday Driver Training Centre
- MACKAY (QLD): Mackay or Sarina Showgrounds
- ROCKHAMPTON: CQLX Gracemere Saleyards
- GLADSTONE: No suitable venue exists
- EMERALD: Central Highlands Driver Training Centre
- ROMA (QLD): Ironbark Raceway
- BRISBANE (QLD)- 2 venues
Qld Advanced Driver Education Centre, Willowbank
Mt. Cotton Training Centre, Cornubia (near Loganholme)
- TOOWOOMBA (QLD): Greer Park Raceway (Helidon)
- WARWICK (QLD): Warwick Dragstrip
- STANTHORPE (QLD): Carnell Raceway
- GRAFTON (NSW): Mountain View Hillclimb Track
- ARMIDALE (NSW): Armidale Traffic Education Centre
- TAMWORTH (NSW): Oakburn Park
How do schools enrol in the Safe Drive Test Drive Course?
Click here to download the School Booking Form
At least 2 months before the course date, Safe Drive Training will send your school an enrolment kit, which includes stocks of brochures and enrolment forms for students to review.
How do students enrol?
Please download our Enrolment Form:
COURSE ENROLMENT FORM
Your school might need to modify these forms under the following circumstances:
- if you want to collect all monies at the school (and not have students paying SDT directly or by cheques)
- if you are making this a GST exempt school excursion
- if you have funding/subsidy from sponsors, parents committees or local community organization (Lions, Apex, Rotary)
Students from participating schools should return the enrolment form and full payment to the course coordinator at your school (unless instructed otherwise).
Does the course count towards logbook hours?
Amazingly, Queensland Transport does not recognize attendance at any defensive/advanced driving courses as counting towards the 100 hours of logbook experience required by L-plate drivers. Therefore the hours of essential driving theory and practical skills training undertaken at this course cannot be credited towards your logbook hours. Participants at this course will be asked to sign a petition to change this decision.
Click here to read the Courier Mail story on this issue
OPTIONAL: SAFETY PACK
Students are invited to purchase a Safety Pack as an optional extra.
SAFE DRIVING PLEDGE
The Safe Driving Pledge is a committment to safe driving that a novice driver can make to their parent's. This document can be downloaded, discussed, enacted and placed in a visible location to remind the novice driver of the pledge they have made.
Check out the many testimonials from parents, teachers and novice drivers. This course has been creditted with saving many lives. Most participants believe this course should be compulsory!
COURSE CERTIFICATE & HANDOUTS:
Course Notes: All participants receive FREE ACCESS to our on-line Safe Driving Directory which contains 100's of pages of safe driving tips and road safety information which is constantly being updated and expanded. Unlike other training companies we do not charge fees for passwords to access on-line information
||Certificate of Attendance: All participants will receive a quality Certificate of Course Completion for display in their portfolio. Many of Australia’s largest companies now require staff to undertake Defensive Driving Courses as part of their employment. As such this certificate may be beneficial to participants when applying for a job position especially if driving is involved. Participants can also show certificates when renewing car/life/medical insurance as rebates or discounts are available from certain insurance companies.
SAFE DRIVE GUARANTEE:
We are so confident that our driver training course will make better drivers, we GUARANTEE IT.
Any participant completing the SAFE DRIVE TEST DRIVE course that has an AT FAULT accident within 12 MONTHS OR 20,000 km of the course date will be able to re-attend the SAFE DRIVE TEST DRIVE course AT NO EXTRA CHARGE
WARNING ON POST LICENCE TRAINING:
Research has shown that the training methodology adopted by some advanced (post-licence) driving schools is flawed. The courses introduce advanced/motor sport car control skills without addressing behavioral and attitudinal changes in those gaining these skills. This in turn can produce drivers with greater confidence who readily accept more risk; possibly leading to an increased level of crash involvement for course participants. All Safe Drive Training courses are based on proven worlds best practice training techniques to ensure participants improve their driving safety and ultimately become the best driver they can be.
Defensive Driving Courses for schools in Toowoomba region
Safe Drive Test Drive Defensive Course Flyer
2019 School Booking Form + Dates
Student Enrolment Form
School Driver Training Newsletter
Safe Drive Expo Flyer
4WD Off-road Training for school groups
School Bus Driver Training Program
SDT Risk Assessment Information
PROMOTIONAL VIDEOS: CLICK COURSE NAME BELOW